Duke4.net Forums: The Supreme Topic of Miscellaneous Knowledge - Duke4.net Forums

• 52 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Supreme Topic of Miscellaneous Knowledge  "Trivia, Research, etc."

View PostFox, on 20 May 2013 - 10:13 PM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Fucking photobucket resizing images, here is a zoom of the page:

Spoiler

That's a nice finding! Where'd you find these?

This post has been edited by Mikko Pekkola: 23 May 2013 - 06:26 AM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Googling random stuff.

User is offline   Cage 

@Fox

This is an amazing find!!!

From my own research I've divided Duke's development into few significant stages we know about/seen:

In general:
  • lameduke
  • duke beta from the .pcx screenshots presspacks (jumpsuit troopers etc.)
  • late beta - double barrel shotgun pigcops, generally looking very close to final
  • The close final betas (0.99 and later?) with available executables (minor differences)

It seems, that the shot from the page you've posted actually fall between phases 1 & 2 (closer to 2 I guess but still) so it's kinda transitional:
  • both the kick from final duke and the wrench/taser from lameduke appear, with kick looking different - #2 features either the final kick graphic or a close variant
  • Lameduke pistol but #2 pigcops - #2 screenshots feature the final pistol
  • Lameduke rocketlauncher, but seems to me that it might be the cleaned up version from phase #2 (dithered color gradients etc.) - the scan is grainy, so I'm guessing
  • Barcode still visible on the hand - #2 removed the barcode
  • A hud which is seen nowhere else! However it seems close in design to Lameduke's and close in color scheme to #2 hud

I've sandwiched the scanned shots between the #2 shots to demonstrate
Posted Image
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Cage: 23 May 2013 - 02:12 PM

User is offline   Gambini 

Aren´t those the frames for when it´s shitting?

Lol I was accidentally looking at the wrong page and didn´t realize it was a year old:

View Postgerolf, on 06 November 2012 - 02:31 PM, said:

In other news...

Posted Image

Are these frames ever actually seen in the game? If so, what are the used for, and if not, what were they meant to be used for?

It looks like he's either looking down, or he's about to kill himself?

This post has been edited by Gambini: 23 May 2013 - 03:10 PM

User is offline   Fox 

Here is a comparison of how the XBLA title screen and background match with the classic title screen:

Posted Image

Also it seems that the classic screen aspect ratio has not been corrected. That's something the HRP should workaround.

I once tried to find some scans of PC Powerplay with more Duke Nukem 3D stuff, but couldn't find any.

Any idea where to find them?

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostMikko Pekkola, on 24 May 2013 - 11:20 AM, said:

PC Powerplay

You can download entire issues here but the collection is not complete yet.

There are other gaming magazines with possibly interesting stuff on that website though.

Cool, thanks ;)

After doing some research, I think I know where the majority of Lameduke's crashes come from; the pistol's laser sight. In certain maps, like E4L3, the laser pointer effect stays on walls when you move around, even if you can't see it. Eventually, the game crashes because there's way too many instances of the laser pointer effect "drawn" in the map. If you swap to another weapon as soon as a map starts, it will never crash. I've ran laps in crash-happy maps without problems when I didn't run around with the pistol out.

This post has been edited by MYHOUSE.MAP: 28 May 2013 - 09:32 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

^Add that to wikis like TCRF.

User is offline   Fox 

Posted Image

Isn't that from the manual? (I misplaced mine sometime around 1997) good find.

User is offline   Fox 

Yes, that's from the manual.

===//===//===

state bossdyingstate
  ifaction ABOSS1DEAD break
  ifactioncount 5 { iffloordistl 8 cstat 0 activate 6666 sound THUD action ABOSS1DEAD }
  spawn FRAMEEFFECT1
ends

In the early v0.99 the Battlelord would serve as an activator with lo-tag 6666 upon death. This is very similar to Doom - in fact, Doom use a tag 666 to execute certain functions in the map.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Wow that looks like shit.

User is offline   Minigunner 

Apparently, some Lameduke-era textures that made it into Duke3D weren't edited for the final palette.
A couple examples:
Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image
Lameduke ------ Duke3d
Funnily enough, simply shifting the pale-tan range 4 values brighter would have made the poster look better:
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Minigunner: 14 May 2017 - 07:27 PM

User is offline   NNC 

Too bad, that this "Byte nite" pic didn't make into the final release, it looks cool.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

It's a parody of Fright Night for those uninitiated with 80's schlock cheese goodness.

I wouldn't say it was paletted wrong, LameDuke essentially just has an alternate colour scheme, these were just straight converted. LD had two brown swatches, and Duke3D has one brown swatch and one tan swatch.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostJimmy, on 04 June 2013 - 09:44 AM, said:

80's schlock cheese goodness.

View PostJimmy, on 04 June 2013 - 09:44 AM, said:

I wouldn't say it was paletted wrong, LameDuke essentially just has an alternate colour scheme, these were just straight converted. LD had two brown swatches, and Duke3D has one brown swatch and one tan swatch.

Well, that's exactly what I meant. :lol:

User is offline   leilei 

View PostHendricks266, on 15 January 2013 - 01:25 PM, said:

At some point I'm going to write a program that automatically analyzes GRPs for differences, including in-depth comparisons of any ART and CON contained within.

In the meantime, one could use Fart on the art files and some diff program (I use WinDiff because it's already there with the vc6 installation \o/)

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

I did something similar, though my tool of choice for the ART files was an oldass DOS16 program called ART2BMP. Thanks for linking me to something with source. :lol:

User is offline   leilei 

I used to work with ART2BMP but it was way too buggy. IIRC it's the one with that engrished 'cunt' message isn't it?

Also Digest makes art files. Classy names aren't they? Not to mention the audio library that Duke3D uses is ASS....

Those tools were developed for Dave3D, and i'm still bitter about that project's forced demise :lol:

This post has been edited by leilei: 04 June 2013 - 12:05 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Dude, I would just go ahead and ramp up production again. They really have no grounds to stop you.

User is offline   Cage 

I'm surprised nobody compared the palettes yet :lol: Since the press release middle-beta screenshots are paletted .pcx (IIRC) files, you can extract a palette out of them.

Here's an animated PNG if your browser supports it:
Posted Image

And individual files:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

User is offline   leilei 

Which part of 95 is the transitional beta from? Early (space jetpack dudes) or later (censored calendar chick on building)?

Glad they changed that row of blues into navy blue, it gives the game more identity.

View PostJimmy, on 04 June 2013 - 07:44 PM, said:

Dude, I would just go ahead and ramp up production again. They really have no grounds to stop you.

I could've wrote to the FSF about being denied to use GPL source code after Siegler's "You may not use our source in that way" message in a 3DR PM and cause a big fallout, but I decided to play it safe and stop what I was doing. My original PM to Siegler was actually inquiring about using only the color palette for a completely-from-scratch media project. On a forum fostering development of BasedDirectlyOffDuke3DData standalone games you'd think this would be at the least, acceptable...

Of course i'm not stopping anyone from forking what was done and carry along the "dave" theme where it's just low quality SuspiciouslySimilar stuff (i.e. no movie oneliners, weaksauce wooden character, very cheesy CGI sprites). I was also going to do the same with SW's source but style-swapping and gender-swapping everything to avoid possible confusion. There could still be wrath from them as if they patented the videogame strip club...

If I can't use their "source" it's not stopping me from using id's source to build a similar game :lol:

This post has been edited by leilei: 06 June 2013 - 12:10 PM

User is offline   Nukeaholic 

Either way it would be nice to see Dave3D back in production. I don't know what the hell 3D Realms were thinking to shut down the project. That's a waste of very good resources. Was it a one man project may I ask?

User is offline   Cage 

View Postleilei, on 06 June 2013 - 11:55 AM, said:

Which part of 95 is the transitional beta from? Early (space jetpack dudes) or later (censored calendar chick on building)?

I took the palette from a screenshot with the jetpack dudes and unfinished recon cars manned by liztroops. Funny thing - the screen with the calendar chick on the wall uses the beta pal I've listed, however, you can find screenshot with the jetpack troopers using the final pal (attached)

I don't think there were any more versions of the palette, correct me if I'm wrong :lol:

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: D3d36.png

This post has been edited by Cage: 06 June 2013 - 12:36 PM

View PostCage, on 05 June 2013 - 01:17 AM, said:

Spoiler

I took the time to compare the palettes in all the screenshots, then extract all the unique ones I found. I included palettes which only had a different background color, as well as ones that were brighter. I left out the two palettes that had their values stretched to 255.

This post has been edited by Minigunner: 14 May 2017 - 02:29 PM

User is offline   Fox 

More models, shitty scan

Posted Image

User is offline   MrFlibble 

I've got a question to the tech savvy guys here about the DOS Build games (hope this isn't a wrong place to ask!). The SVGA modes for most of the games have a choice between 640x400 and 640x480 (IIRC Powerslave only has 640x400 which is still disguised as 640x480 in the setup programme, but later games all have both modes). What I'm interested in is how the engine handles the 640x480 mode. In the 640x400 mode, the entire output is stretched by the hardware. In the 640x480 mode, on the other hand, I assume that the game engine does the stretching to maintain aspect correction. Does it stretch the entire screen, or does it scale individual components of the image (sprites, textures, HUD) separately?

Also, am I right that the 640x400 mode is less system-intensive for the lack of internal scaling procedures? Or is this whole speculation just off the track?

Share this topic:

• 52 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options