Duke4.net Forums: Mapster32 problems and bugs - Duke4.net Forums

• 42 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mapster32 problems and bugs  "Please post them exclusively here"

User is offline   Mark 

That has been an issue for a couple of years at least. As a matter of habit I always place wall sprites one smallest grid space away. Otherwise they can flicker in and out. Maybe the default spacing needs to be increased ever so slightly.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 07 April 2014 - 10:30 AM

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

So it's the well-known depth fighting issue in Polymer? The preceding posts made it sound like something that was introduced recently.

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostHelixhorned, on 08 April 2014 - 08:14 AM, said:

So it's the well-known depth fighting issue in Polymer? The preceding posts made it sound like something that was introduced recently.

Helix, I think I am experencing a separate issue. I will try and post a screenshot if possible. The problem is it happens so fast it is like a flicker. Seems to occur when Duke passes through sectors. It occurs in all video modes from what I can tell. I'll make note of your comment of "'cl_showcoords 2' " and I'll post back here again when i've collected more information. This problem has nothing to do with sprites. I might have to take a video of this happening instead. It happens quite freqently for me.

The sprite glitches i can work with as I just position each wall sprite a tiny little bit away from the wall it's not a big deal. But the video flickering kind of ruins the 3D experience.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 08 April 2014 - 12:45 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostHelixhorned, on 04 March 2014 - 02:40 PM, said:

In case it's SDL2-related, the usual recommendations apply, primarily switching to a US keyboard layout. Then, if somebody's got the time, there's the open request for compiling the 'checkkeys' program from the SDL2 source distribution for Windows. Maybe some of these bugs will show up there.

I was tinkering with some SDL stuff when I remembered this request: http://hendricks266....2-2.0.3-test.7z

User is offline   Paul B 

I just want to apologize for surfacing old known problems again in this forum topic. I forgot when making my last map I wasn’t using Polymer but Polymost. Therefore, I believe all the visual glitches I was experiencing were in the old Polymost renderer. I’m sorry that I unknowingly confused the two when starting to map in a new map. Honestly, I don’t understand why people still choose to map using the old renderer, probably because of a limitation of their video cards and computer hardware? Anyway, I’m quite happy with Polymer.

I also would like to mention I will be out of the country April 21 to May 23rd as I will be going to the Philippines to visit my wife hopefully for the last time before she comes to Canada. So, to all my loyal fans and followers I won’t be frequenting these forums until I get back to my Canadian routine sorry to disappoint! But you'll have to continue on without me. LOL

Take care and happy Mapping!

This post has been edited by Paul B: 19 April 2014 - 09:49 PM

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostHendricks266, on 19 April 2014 - 05:28 PM, said:

I was tinkering with some SDL stuff when I remembered this request: http://hendricks266....2-2.0.3-test.7z

Cool! Can someone who experiences the RAlt issue run 'checkkeys.exe' from cmd.exe then and press RAlt once? Here's what I get:

F:\g\mod\SDL2-2.0.3-test>checkkeys.exe

F:\g\mod\SDL2-2.0.3-test>INFO: Key pressed :  scancode 230 = Right Alt, keycode 0x400000E6 = Right Alt  modifiers: RALT
INFO: Key released:  scancode 230 = Right Alt, keycode 0x400000E6 = Right Alt  modifiers: (none)

Presumably, those who experience the bug will see the LCTRL + RALT sequence observed earlier.

User is offline   NY00123 

ok, I don't know why it seemed to be ignored more than once (possibly a misunderstanding, or just a bad workaround?)
but if the SDL problem is what I think it is (Alt Gr acts like Ctrl+LAlt on Windows with some layouts), then forcing US English layout for the current process may be the way (already kind-of-done in the now unused winlayer.c in fact):

LoadKeyboardLayout("00000409", KLF_ACTIVATE | KLF_SETFORPROCESS);

This post has been edited by NY00123: 21 April 2014 - 06:40 AM

User is offline   Mark 

As a temp fix for the Rshift + KP keys for texture shifting problem in newer builds, will a key remapping work or is the glitch in the program itself and we just need to wait for a fix?

In the mean time I have been using an older version of Mapster but a newer version of Eduke. I'll sleep better at night if I can run the latest of both. B)

EDIT: I answered my own question. I remapped the Rshift key to another one and the texture adjusting is working fine.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 26 April 2014 - 07:48 AM

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostNY00123, on 21 April 2014 - 06:39 AM, said:

ok, I don't know why it seemed to be ignored more than once (possibly a misunderstanding, or just a bad workaround?)
but if the SDL problem is what I think it is (Alt Gr acts like Ctrl+LAlt on Windows with some layouts), then forcing US English layout for the current process may be the way (already kind-of-done in the now unused winlayer.c in fact):

LoadKeyboardLayout("00000409", KLF_ACTIVATE | KLF_SETFORPROCESS);

I don't think the problem is one of layouts. First, I'm not getting the bug at all on Windows 7, regardless of whether I start with German or US layout. Second, I advised many times to switch to US when starting Mapster32, and people still report the bug. Moreover, I think that some of the reporters are from the US and likely wouldn't use another layout at all.

User is offline   NY00123 

View PostHelixhorned, on 03 May 2014 - 06:03 AM, said:

I don't think the problem is one of layouts. First, I'm not getting the bug at all on Windows 7, regardless of whether I start with German or US layout. Second, I advised many times to switch to US when starting Mapster32, and people still report the bug. Moreover, I think that some of the reporters are from the US and likely wouldn't use another layout at all.

It's true that the conditions I got to experience this with may be somewhat different, but I'm mentioning this anyway.

Here is how I got to reproduce the problem:
1. I had the keyboard layouts of US English and Czech in use for testing.
2. Czech was set as the default layout (possibly even removing US layout for a different test case).
3. The tested environment had XP installed.

I guess not all people have spotted the other forum posts regarding the issue, and that may be hard to avoid from having more reports on the topic.

While EDuke32 is using SDL2 scancodes that should theoretically be layout-independent, in practice the case of Alt Gr -> Ctrl+LAlt translation isn't detected, it seems. I read that this may be solved by moving to raw input in the SDL2 codebase. Chances are not a lot is done here, though.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Hey Helix, since dragging child (and void sectors) outside of their parent sectors is really bad mapping practice and quite possibly map-breaking, should they be listed as a corruption? Or at least something to give an indication that it's not a good idea when a mapper tries to do this.

Example case:
http://forums.duke4....post__p__199151

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

While building a bridge out of sprites an idea came to my mind, I don't know why this hasn't done or if is even possible to implement, but why not make a blank super-sprite type of special sprite that could took any size and that can change its tilenum with arbitrary x, y repeat and pan independent from it's size? Is it a dumb request?

View PostMickey C, on 17 June 2014 - 03:54 AM, said:

Hey Helix, since dragging child (and void sectors) outside of their parent sectors is really bad mapping practice and quite possibly map-breaking, should they be listed as a corruption? Or at least something to give an indication that it's not a good idea when a mapper tries to do this.

Or even impossible to make on rookie mode.

This post has been edited by Mike Norvak: 21 June 2014 - 08:57 AM

User is offline   stumppy84 

Having a problem with Mapster32 crashing randomly...
Here's the log:
Spoiler

• Weaponized Autism

Does it produce a crashlog?

The RAlt thing, this is what Chekkeys throws out at me;

INFO: Key pressed : scancode 224 = Left Ctrl, keycode 0x400000E0 = Left Ctrl modifiers: LCTRL
INFO: Key pressed : scancode 230 = Right Alt, keycode 0x400000E6 = Right Alt modifiers: LCTRL RALT
INFO: Key released: scancode 224 = Left Ctrl, keycode 0x400000E0 = Left Ctrl modifiers: (none)
INFO: Key released: scancode 230 = Right Alt, keycode 0x400000E6 = Right Alt modifiers: (none)

Using US International layout, when typing the RAlt acts as an extra shift for special characters such as ß¹²³¤€¼½¾'' etc.

This comes with other minor problems, but they aren't limited to EDuke/Mapster. But those are workable, stuff like the behavior of the apostrophe key and other symbols.

Switching to plain "US" layout yields

INFO: Key pressed : scancode 230 = Right Alt, keycode 0x400000E6 = Right Alt modifiers: RALT
INFO: Key released: scancode 230 = Right Alt, keycode 0x400000E6 = Right Alt modifiers: (none)

Also makes the Mapster problem go away for me at least, in my case I just left the language bar in the lower right of my taskbar and switch it out before starting Mapster32.

Windows XP Service Pack 3 though I seem to think I had the RAlt issue in Win 7 when using the Intl layout too. Don't know if any of this information is useful to you.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 30 June 2014 - 02:11 AM

User is offline   Darkhog 

The one HUGE problem with mapster is too many keyboard shortcuts and to little (i.e. none) toolbars and menus.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostDarkhog, on 03 July 2014 - 11:51 PM, said:

The one HUGE problem with mapster is too many keyboard shortcuts and to little (i.e. none) toolbars and menus.

Well you're right there. For people who have been using the program for several years it's not a problem, but for those who want to get started with mapster, it can be pretty confusing. Hell even I'm probably not aware of the full extent of keyboard commands since I'm discovering new stuff all the time. (Just today I discovered you could press "i" to insert points, since I'd always used "insert" :P )

A bunch of us agree that mapster does need a major facelift to truly bring it into the 21st century. Some toolbars and menus would be nice, and personally, given that pretty much everyone has a widescreen monitor these days, I'd love to have 3D mode and 2D both open all the time side by side. That'll save time flipping between them, plus you can cross-check and compare between the two views much easier which would help in a lot of things. Unfortunately, the work involved is probably pretty tedious and repetitive, and the developers are in the middle of finishing up other major features.

Still, at the end of the day, eduke32 as an indie platform can't have content made for it without mapster, so hopefully it'll get a bit of love once the other major stuff is finished.

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostDarkhog, on 03 July 2014 - 11:51 PM, said:

There is the standard F1 help menu, with all those pesky shortcuts listed. Also F2 will bring up every sound and you can hear them and scroll through them all. Maybe if there was a button for the menu you could click it and be happier.

View PostMicky C, on 04 July 2014 - 01:21 AM, said:

For people who have been using the program for several years it's not a problem, but for those who want to get started with mapster, it can be pretty confusing.

Yup, that's why I've proposed leaving keyboard bindings in for veterans and just adding toolbars on top of that - I still have nightmares about Blender 2.49 to 2.5 switch and horror of readjusting basically everything that came along with it. Don't want it to happen with Mapster.

Anyway another problem, most likely known one. When going into 3D mode, it makes Aero go off so I don't have those nice transparent title bars. While for most new games turning Aero off may mean difference between game playable at solid 60fps and completely unplayable, Duke3D isn't exactly Far Cry 3 so I think turning off Aero is a bit excessive.

User is offline   Kyanos 

Aero was conflicting with mapster to the point of crashing a lot while going between modes. It's a pointless energy hog and was coded to help increase global warming, one living room at a time.

This post has been edited by Drek: 04 July 2014 - 09:18 AM

• Weaponized Autism

View PostDarkhog, on 04 July 2014 - 09:13 AM, said:

Anyway another problem, most likely known one. When going into 3D mode, it makes Aero go off so I don't have those nice transparent title bars. While for most new games turning Aero off may mean difference between game playable at solid 60fps and completely unplayable, Duke3D isn't exactly Far Cry 3 so I think turning off Aero is a bit excessive.

Aero gets turned off by default because 1) it prevents Windows from using precious GPU resources and 2) some AMD graphics cards were causing crashes without it.

You can disable the behavior with the cvar r_togglecomposition.

"Excessive"? Have you even tried Polymer?

Ok now I understand why it turns off aero. Thank you. Where can I set cvar r_togglecomposition so it'll be set every time I launch Mapster and to what value do I have to set it to make Aero always on?

Another thing I don't like about mapster is that it locks mouse cursor to its window. That's big no-no in GUI app (and if you go fullscreen, it doesn't matter if mouse is locked to window or not).

User is offline   Kyanos 

Both issues solved with the console.
~ the tilde button near 1

User is offline   Kyanos 

0 means off 1 means on usually.
I'd assume set it to 0 to keep aero on, as it's called a toggle.

• Weaponized Autism

View PostDarkhog, on 04 July 2014 - 09:44 AM, said:

Ok now I understand why it turns off aero. Thank you. Where can I set cvar r_togglecomposition so it'll be set every time I launch Mapster and to what value do I have to set it to make Aero always on?

If you enter it in the console, it should save the setting. Make sure you're using up-to-date Mapster.

View PostDarkhog, on 04 July 2014 - 09:44 AM, said:

Another thing I don't like about mapster is that it locks mouse cursor to its window. That's big no-no in GUI app (and if you go fullscreen, it doesn't matter if mouse is locked to window or not).

That's because Mapster isn't a GUI app. There aren't any toolbars because it originated from DOS and in its current state is portable to any OS that runs SDL. Hell, it works on the Wii with the Homebrew Channel if you feel like plugging in a USB keyboard and mouse and working in 640x480.

Adding a GUI means you're writing special code for each operating system.

Windows? Win32 API.
Linux? GTK.
Mac? Cocoa.
Android? lol.

We could go full GTK for all platforms and bump the eduke32 download size to 50 MB. I would love to use byuu's phoenix but the other devs and I don't want to require C++11 to build.

View PostMicky C, on 04 July 2014 - 01:21 AM, said:

I'd love to have 3D mode and 2D both open all the time side by side.

SDL2 makes that possible with multiple windows, but it would take much internal reconfiguring to actually have both open at the same time.

Then just don't lock mouse into SDL window. I've wrote few simple SDL games (pong and Tetris clones, so nothing special) and neither locked mouse to window, unless I've used function that locks mouse.

So just remove
 SDL_SetRelativeMouseMode(true);

from your codebase and problem will go poof.

This post has been edited by Darkhog: 04 July 2014 - 10:07 AM

• Music Producer

Is possible to get higher resolution screenshots in mapster/eduke?

• Weaponized Autism

View PostDarkhog, on 04 July 2014 - 10:02 AM, said:

Then just don't lock mouse into SDL window. I've wrote few simple SDL games (pong and Tetris clones, so nothing special) and neither locked mouse to window, unless I've used function that locks mouse.

So just remove
 SDL_SetRelativeMouseMode(true);

from your codebase and problem will go poof.

I might add a cvar to keep the mouse unlocked.

View PostMike Norvak, on 06 July 2014 - 12:36 PM, said:

Is possible to get higher resolution screenshots in mapster/eduke?

I don't quite understand. Higher than the current resolution? No. But we support resolutions up to 7680x3200, so you can run something huge in windowed mode (from the console: vidmode xdim ydim bpp 0) and press F12 where you need it.

• Music Producer

View PostHendricks266, on 06 July 2014 - 02:26 PM, said:

I don't quite understand. Higher than the current resolution? No. But we support resolutions up to 7680x3200, so you can run something huge in windowed mode (from the console: vidmode xdim ydim bpp 0) and press F12 where you need it.

That's exactly what I need, since my monitor doesn't support higher resolutions. Thanks!

Edit: I just did this but the screenshot only renders what is already in the screen everything else is black space.

This post has been edited by Mike Norvak: 06 July 2014 - 06:36 PM

• Music Producer

This has been posted before, but >Pal29 sectors make sprites to lose it's own Pal. Which breaks mods that make further use of custom fogpals. This is obviously a bug.

After
Attached Image: capt0004.png

Before

Attached Image: capt0005.png

Share this topic:

• 42 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options