Duke4.net Forums: Fusion Redux - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fusion Redux  "a high-def version of Fusion"

User is offline   Diaz 

A lot of the things you mention (if not all) are being fixed in the upcoming revamp:

- There is a hint for the 10-switch combo (I don't know what on earth I was thinking when I made that).
- Some enemies that were sprites (specially those from HL) are being converted into models.
- The skaarj from Unreal does no longer float (I didn't understand how tile offsets work back then). I don't know if I will be able to make it 3D, though. Not with its original animations at least.
- Level inconsistencies are being mostly fixed (except for the random mash-up of enemies; it might not have any sense, but I did't care back then and I still don't, the mix is what makes the TC fun IMO. The new episode will be more consistent with that, though).
- Difficulty is being balanced. It will be still hard on harder settings, but at least the easy difficulty won't be a pain in the arse to get through.
- The Quake 2 gunner doesn't become invincible anymore. Neither does the Quake Fiend, which also became invulnerable under special circumstances.
- MP5 doesn't have infinite ammo anymore.

And more fixes to come...

Also, the third picture MetHy posted is not a bug, but intentional. That's not the way you have to go to get the blue card which is on top of one of the houses :)

Many thanks for the constructive criticism!

This post has been edited by Diaz: 23 March 2012 - 07:09 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostDiaz, on 23 March 2012 - 07:04 AM, said:

Also, the third picture MetHy posted is not a bug, but intentional. That's not the way you have to go to get the blue card which is on top of one of the houses :)

I know but I found it weird that it was physically possible to do it but blocked by invisible walls; especially when you have to jump all over roofs and edges in the same area

User is offline   Diaz 

I used to resort a lot to invisible walls back in the day, yeah... when it would have been easier to just raise the sectors a bit :)

User is offline   Hank 

View PostDiaz, on 23 March 2012 - 07:52 AM, said:

I used to resort a lot to invisible walls back in the day, yeah... when it would have been easier to just raise the sectors a bit :)

Can we now assume you stopped this habit ? Posted Image

I want to ask, if this revamp you spoke of Diaz, is still being worked on? Anyway, I just finished ep. 1 and during it, for some reason, I became invulnerable to all damage, except ones that could one shot me. The character still yelled in pain, screen got red etc. but no damage.

User is offline   Diaz 

That is a bug. I coded an actor that would set the player's health to 100 at the start of map, but for some reason it wouldn't get deleted after that; so it's constantly setting the players health to 100.

The revamp is still being worked on. I wanted to finish it by the end of this year, but the maps I'm making for the fourth episode are becoming quite complex as I discover EDuke32's new possibilities, and are taking longer to finish, so I'm not sure I'll make it on time :D

The maps in the first 3 episodes are receiving a Polymer lighting overhaul. I'm not changing their layout or architecture, even though it's become really bad for today's standards; I don't have time to fully remake them...

This post has been edited by Diaz: 29 October 2012 - 06:57 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Fusion managed to stay under my radar and I've never played it, but with all this talk about it I finally picked up the version in the first post and I'm finding it really good!

Quote from another thread:

View PostDiaz, on 13 November 2012 - 04:55 PM, said:

Spotlight projections are very cheap. It's shadows that kill the framerate, but now we have the option to disable them per-light, so we can optimize without forcing the user to disable ALL shadows Posted Image

I'm hoping to release my new Fusion episode (Polymer only) by feb/march, or sooner. Just finished the third map, and it will be 5 new maps + a small boss map. Still wondering if I should release it as a standalone episode or keep reworking the first 3 episodes with Polymer lighting (because nowadays, I'm really ashamed of the shitty levels I made)

I find the levels solidly built and nothing to be ashamed of. Sure by today's mainstream standards the details are low, but as with the Metropolitan Mayhem episode, the detail feels right. Layout and gameplay are fairly good (I've only played the first two levels of episode 1 on easiest difficulty) although I'm hoping for some more interesting weapons than the typical shotguns/machine guns. The standard and feel of these maps is what I'm aiming for with that map I've been working on for the Quake TC that I need to get back to at some point.

You say you're going to rework the maps with polymer lighting although there's already lighting there? You mean add more lights/make them more complex? I don't think its neccessary, since the polymer lighting in those levels are already consistent and feel like the right amount given the details and architecture. Having said that, I got anywhere between 100 and 300 fps, so if you do decide to revamp it, there's plenty of room to add more lights.

Unfortunately the maps are "broken" in terms of lighting with the latest eduke32, since the new negative light feature was added. It seems some of your SEs had their centre bit set and are displaying negative lights. You'll probably have to write a mapster script to check if any SE 49s or 50s have that bit set, then unset it for each level.

Posted Image
This sort of thing has happened all over the first 2 maps. I'm guessing that light should be red...

Posted Image
Funny, but not true anymore with TROR Posted Image

Posted Image
I'm not sure what's going on here but on that dam there appears to be one sided masked wall problems in polymer. It looks normal in polymost.

User is offline   Jblade 

Remember that I was the one who put together Fusion Redux, so I imagine DiaZ wants to make a more official version with what he wants the levels to look like rather than the one I did :P That negative light is spawned in CON, since alot has changed I'm suprised it even works.

User is offline   Diaz 

Such bugs are what are pushing me to re-release the first 3 episodes as well as the new one. They have been mostly fixed, including the negative light stuff (the bug is due to the lights being spawned as a SMALLSMOKE, which has the center bit set by default), but there's still work to be done. The maps are being made completely dark, then a global ambient shade value is set, then full Polymer lighting is added. It takes time :P

This post has been edited by Diaz: 14 November 2012 - 12:57 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I can imagine that looking pretty good Posted Image

Btw, this window is one side blocked from the other side, which means if the player goes out there, he's stuck. I suppose it was meant to be blocked both ways?
Sorry if these have already been pointed out/fixed.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Micky C: 14 November 2012 - 04:01 AM

User is offline   Diaz 

Yep, I caught that one and fixed it some weeks ago. But thanks a lot for pointing out bugs :P

User is offline   MacoMan 

Been checking this out and it's amazing. I'm stunned by what the Duke modding community has done, even surpassing the Doom modding scene in many areas. I'm having a problem with the HUD though. Using recent eDuke32 builds, I can't get a full HUD on screen, using either the + or - in game, or through options. At best I just get the little Doomguy-style avatar to tell me how much health I have but no ammo or other info. In game HUD resizing slider won't move to the left. It works fine with the eDuke build that came with the Fusion Redux download but not with new builds (which I always prefer to use for 64-bit support and other enhancements). Is there a solution?

This post has been edited by MacoMan: 19 October 2013 - 09:44 PM

Fun mod, just started playing. Not sure if necro-ing a topic from a couple years ago or just posting a topic to ask a question is preferred.

Anyway, say does anyone know what secret the blue keycard in the first level "The Infiltration" unlocks? I looked all around, even noclipped through any door I could find but there was nothing behind those doors. No idea what it opened up. There is a little video of that level on youtube, but they don't do the optional blue keycard thing in it.

Mod holds up very well, fun seeing the Quake and HL stuff and whatnot.

User is offline   Jblade 

Hmm, just played through it myself and don't recall seeing a secret blue keycard - there is one needed to exit the level (when you jump back up into the building from the Dam, you go left into the steel door and there's a security door to use the card on in the little sideroom)

View PostJblade, on 01 August 2015 - 07:14 AM, said:

Hmm, just played through it myself and don't recall seeing a secret blue keycard - there is one needed to exit the level (when you jump back up into the building from the Dam, you go left into the steel door and there's a security door to use the card on in the little sideroom)

Oh, this is funny, must be a bug. I'm able to open the door there just by pressing E, so I don't need to get a blue keycard to beat the level. So when I put in the blue keycard and the message pops up saying "Something has been unlocked..." I assumed it opened an earlier door somewhere for a secret. :) Plus I found 0 out of 1 secrets.

I even jumped onto the walls and hopped against every window in that open area to see if any of them led somewhere like in Hollywood Holocaust. :D

For the record, I was playing the version of Fusion TC in the Addon Compilation on here.

One more little quirk, in the second level this button doesn't work, can't push it or shoot it. I'm guessing it's supposed to open that metal thingy up there in the back of this pic.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0003.png

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 01 August 2015 - 10:31 AM

User is offline   Jblade 

I believe the secret area is accessed by using the picture of Bill Clinton near the exit corridor :)

That button's non-operational, you can just jump up and access that area without it.

This post has been edited by Jblade: 01 August 2015 - 10:32 AM

Thanks for the tips! By the way, MGS5 Phantom Pain is gonna be epic.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I still long to see the Unreal levels...this is unfinished, right?

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options