Duke4.net Forums: Fusion Redux - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fusion Redux  "a high-def version of Fusion"

User is offline   Jblade 

I have no idea why it does that to be honest. In anycase I can't work on this since this PC can't even run Polymost; if I could find out why it does that, than I could use a flashlight decal in it's place which would look pretty cool.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostJames, on Nov 16 2009, 03:38 PM, said:

I have no idea why it does that to be honest. In anycase I can't work on this since this PC can't even run Polymost; if I could find out why it does that, than I could use a flashlight decal in it's place which would look pretty cool.

You must mean Polymer.

User is offline   Jblade 

View PostDeeperThought, on Nov 17 2009, 12:19 AM, said:

You must mean Polymer.

no no - I said polymost because I meant "This machine can't even run polymost, let alone polymer" :)

View PostJames, on Nov 17 2009, 12:38 AM, said:

Oh oke James, hope someone can figure out why I've got this problem and others not.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View Postinsane_metalhead, on Nov 17 2009, 11:29 PM, said:

Oh oke James, hope someone can figure out why I've got this problem and others not.

Others should get it, as I do.

View PostThe Commander, on Nov 17 2009, 05:56 PM, said:

Others should get it, as I do.

So you know what the prob is?

It could be that the light is being spawned in the very center of the APLAYER and causing the light to project the shadow of the player, but in the case of the screen shots it looks like it's projecting a shadow projection of a flat tile. I had a similar problem to this once when I made a map with a light and instead of projecting proper shadows, the shadows had a transparent looking doom door through it.

I do know that there has been some modifications to the way lights a made since it first came out, and this mod may not reflect apon these changes and is causing the bug. I might take a better look at it.

View PostThe Commander, on Nov 17 2009, 07:05 PM, said:

It could be that the light is being spawned in the very center of the APLAYER and causing the light to project the shadow of the player, but in the case of the screen shots it looks like it's projecting a shadow projection of a flat tile. I had a similar problem to this once when I made a map with a light and instead of projecting proper shadows, the shadows had a transparent looking doom door through it.

I do know that there has been some modifications to the way lights a made since it first came out, and this mod may not reflect apon these changes and is causing the bug. I might take a better look at it.

Thanks man, hope you find more soon and come up with a solution..
Cheers

User is offline   Sebastian 

Just tried Fusion Redux, getting the same problem here as well so what Commander's saying is probably the case.

View PostRusty Nails, on Nov 18 2009, 06:29 PM, said:

Just tried Fusion Redux, getting the same problem here as well so what Commander's saying is probably the case.

Glad someone has the same prob... Maybe it could be fixed then.

Hey you guys!
If you want I could make normalmaps for the textures.
Let me know if I could help =)

User is offline   Jblade 

I have no means of working on this here, but a normalmap pack would be fantastic and I'm sure many people would appreciate it :lol:

Yeah and If you want, I dont't really know who works on that but, I can also make normalmaps for the Duke HRP

All normalmaps done... changing filenames and def file =)

All normalmaps done! Only the def file needs the definitions for the normalmaps.

Here are the normalmaps (without def file):

http://www.mediafire.com/?h2tiytrlroi

User is offline   Jblade 

cool! Can you take a few screenshots so I can see what they look like? :lol:

View PostJames, on Dec 20 2009, 12:33 PM, said:

cool! Can you take a few screenshots so I can see what they look like? :lol:

Yeah I will, but i'll first have to edit all the lines of the textures in the def file.

Just playing around with the model shotgun from Q2 :lol:

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0002.jpg

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View PostJames, on Nov 17 2009, 02:55 AM, said:

no no - I said polymost because I meant "This machine can't even run polymost, let alone polymer" :lol:

Same deal here. This ATI card won't run EITHER.

View PostTea Monster, on Dec 21 2009, 03:10 AM, said:

Same deal here. This ATI card won't run EITHER.

And what exactly is YOUR ATI card, I keep seeing you say you have one but I can't say I have seen you say which model it is.

Though, if your running WIN 7 I could see why you might be having trouble.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 20 December 2009 - 06:20 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

I wanted to play this with polymer lights so I downloaded eduke32 with polymer from here http://hrp.duke4.net/download.php

but obviously that doesn't work. If I do that polymer lights do work, but the hud won't.

Why not putting a version of eduke32 in the download where everything simply works? I can't be arsed going through every single eduke32 build in order to find the right one.

So I've been playing with the eduke32 build coming with the download (with no polymer lights) and been enjoying it so far.

User is offline   Diaz 

I believe this was released before the Polymer renderer was available.

Anyways, you don't need the HRP. Just get the latest Eduke32 build from here and everything should be fine... you have to force the classic HUD in the menus, though.

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostDiaz, on 21 March 2012 - 10:45 PM, said:

you have to force the classic HUD in the menus, though.

Thanks that worked

User is offline   MetHy 

I'm stuck in "stormy night". I found a red keycard and then got to an outdoor area but there seems to be nowhere else to go.

I'm gonna try this too.

User is offline   Diaz 

View PostMetHy, on 22 March 2012 - 11:38 AM, said:

I'm stuck in "stormy night". I found a red keycard and then got to an outdoor area but there seems to be nowhere else to go.

You have to jump down to a ledge to the right of the wood bridge.

Yes, some levels are frustrating, and there are a couple in which you can't go back if you forget to grab a keycard. I'm working on fixing those, too. :)

User is offline   MetHy 

I just finished it and I gotta say it's a good TC. I enjoyed it.
Polymer lights was a nice addition to it.

However I have a few "nitpicking complains" to share :

- The TC is inconsistent as far as models and sprites are concerned. Some enemies and weapons are models, some others are sprites, and they're all next to each others.

- I also think the TC is inconsistent in enemies. It seems like you put set of enemies there random without thinking of what they meant. The questions I asked myself all along the TC were : who are the blue army guys? What are the HL army guys doing next to the cultists? Etc..
It was really nice that each episode had a setting/texturing scheme to it (first ep = HL, second = unreal, 3rd = redneck rampage). It would have been even better if you remained consistent with enemies regarding those themes. For example only using army guys and aliens in the HL settings, only using quake guys in the unreal setting, only using Blood enemies in the redneck ramapge setting.

- Button "puzzles". Don't expect me to solve random 8-9 buttons combinaisons just to unlock one door. I cheated both times this happened.

- Invisible walls were inconsistent as well, for example :

Posted Image
You can jump through the window on the left but not through the windown on the right. Why? Why not putting a fence or something on the windows on the right?

Posted Image
You can't jump over these obstacles and have to go around. why not make the obstacles reach the ceiling so that it's not physically possible to do it?

Posted Image
You can't jump towards the right here even though you HAVE to jump on every other roof etc to continue the level.

- Floating enemies :
The blue army guys float over the ground.
and these aliens float above water :
Posted Image

Like I said I still enjoyed the TC and appreciated all the work behind it. It's rare enough to have a long TC released.
However I think a few simple things (and a few more complicated ones...) could have made it even better.
Though it seems you've already considered some of these points considering you've made a 3D model for the Blood cultists.

floating enemies

This post has been edited by MetHy: 23 March 2012 - 04:05 AM

User is offline   Jblade 

You probably do know this but the TC was released well over a decade ago (In fact the TC itself was originally based on Duke V1.3D) having a random mish-mash of art and stuff was what you'd expect from back then. I don't think Diaz was concerned about story or anything back then (and no other Duke mods were either really, I'd say SST was the most 'organised' mod around when it came to plot and even that was really shaky. Grins of Dvinity made a good attempt as well.) At the time seeing things like Q2 enemies in Duke being smoothly animated and high detailed was really cool, even if now the flaws in that approach are obvious.

If anything I'd say my main complaint about the original was how difficult it is, since enemies do alot of damage! But again it's a nice change for a difficult mod since most Duke mods are too easy :)

EDIT: The floating enemies are I think a result of re-using actors with some hidden hard-coded properties as enemies. V1.3D didn't allow new actors so to get around that Diaz used sprites that used to be just background stuff for them. A cool idea but it had it's drawbacks, but the amount of enemies in Fusion is still pretty huge and impressive even now.

This post has been edited by James: 23 March 2012 - 04:57 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

I didn't know any that. For a 10 years old mod made with no eduke32 stuff to begin with (even though the redux versions updated that), it sure is impressive

Also I played on skill 3 and I thought difficulty was fine.

but I forgot to mention, I got two glitches :

- one type of quake 2 enemies (the one you encounter the less and which in quake 2 throws grenades at you) tends to become invicible sometimes.
- the MP5 had infinite ammo

User is offline   Jblade 

The MP5 had infinite ammo in the original Fusion as well, I didn't know if it was intentional or not so I left it in. Adding ammo would of been easy enough but I didn't really want to change the weapons too much in the way they work.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options