Duke4.net Forums: What are you working on for Duke right now? - Duke4.net Forums

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are you working on for Duke right now?  "Post about whatever Duke related stuff you're doing"

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Total Meltdown-style, shortcut "T" for this inventory item

Posted Image

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostDanM, on 31 March 2013 - 09:58 AM, said:

so polymer seems a bit more faster ( or is that the sixcore and gtx680 SLI ? ) also, the visibility seems different, fog pal colors seems to blend together better when using different pals next to each other, and the vis is just not so heavy anymore, i like it.

Damn DanM that's some good stuff.

Something I first saw Norvak use was that polymer lights can mask fog pal transitions really well, that's probably what you're noticing.
Hopefully you still remember the new lighting features such as negative lights, and spotlights without shadows (will help you improve performance if you can fake the spotlight shadows with sectors).

Is that stuff for Duke Nukem Eternity?

Oh
And polymer runs a lot better if you use a 64-bit version of eduke32. You might want to try that out and distribute your maps/DNE with it.

User is offline   Gambini 

You do make Duke look like a modern game Danm!

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostDanM, on 31 March 2013 - 09:58 AM, said:

ummm hello, been awhile, doing stuff been a hell of a ride, anyway started dicking around in mapster/dukeplus again, gunna see how much of the shrapnel city episode i can cram into one map, totally diff layouts and looks only real similarity will be the locations. Think ive stuck a solid 24 hours into so far at 6000 walls / 800 sectors, shit ton of ROR.

Attachment pic01.jpg Attachment pic02.jpg Attachment pic03.jpg Attachment pic04.jpg Attachment pic05.jpg

so polymer seems a bit more faster ( or is that the sixcore and gtx680 SLI ? ) also, the visibility seems different, fog pal colors seems to blend together better when using different pals next to each other, and the vis is just not so heavy anymore, i like it.

I can hardly believe that's Duke Nukem 3D. My hat is off to you, sir.

User is offline   blizzart 

View PostTrooper Mick, on 31 March 2013 - 02:42 PM, said:

And polymer runs a lot better if you use a 64-bit version of eduke32. You might want to try that out and distribute your maps/DNE with it.

There is a 64-bit version of EDuke32? Where can I find that one?

User is offline   Lunick 

View Postblizzart, on 31 March 2013 - 03:09 PM, said:

There is a 64-bit version of EDuke32? Where can I find that one?

http://forums.duke4....post__p__153218 Here I think.

User is offline   Jenz/Amaka 

@DanM

Holy cow! It looks like it's from totally different game.

• Honored Donor

I know it may have seemed like I haven't been mapping for a while, but that's because I've been working on a secret project! Ever since I heard about Megaton edition coming out with its expansion pack DLCs, I thought it was extra crucial to finish the HRPs as soon as possible, and I ought to do my little bit to help. Duke it out in DC already has lighting done. Nuclear Winter is a piece of shit and not worth doing. However Carribean absolutely needs a lighting job, and so for the past month or two, that's what I've been working on, and it's finally finished!
The great thing I've taken all my map-lighting experience from Duke 3D episodes 2 and 3, Duke it Out in DC, and other lit levels, all the tricks and everything I've learnt and used it here to make the most spectacularly lit polymer lighting job ever!

Sorry these are taken with 8-bit textures, I don't have the HRP installed but I'm sure it'll look extra delicious with it and it's normal/spec mapped textures.
The framerate's not that high, so I'm going to spend the rest of the day going through each map and optimising the lights for speed, so I'll post the download link tomorrow and hopefully Hendricks can add it to the official HRP.

So without further ado, here's the Duke Carribean Life's a Beach with Complete Polymer Lighting

See the sun reflect off the water!! And on the beach you can feel the bright sun burning away!
Posted Image

An indoor shot:
Posted Image

I know Carribean is supposed to be a bright episode, and having dark areas with polymer lights doesn't really make sense, which is why I'm using a soft lighting technique so nothing should be pitch-black. See this corridor here; except for the areas lit by the windows, they should be pure black, but there's some "ambiant light" from a weak point light which makes a more realistic feeling of light bouncing around the room a bit, and plus you can actually see the enemies!
Posted Image

Another angle
Posted Image

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Trooper Mick: 31 March 2013 - 11:12 PM

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

Looks good, just not quite bright enough in my opinion.

User is offline   Jenz/Amaka 

While working on the Direct System Mod, I finished DNF Gloves for Duke3D.

Posted Image

And if you guys want, you can Download it.

User is offline   Lunick 

Nice gloves!

• Judge Mental

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 31 March 2013 - 11:20 PM, said:

Looks good, just not quite bright enough in my opinion.

Spoiler

User is offline   Stabs 

View PostTrooper Mick, on 31 March 2013 - 02:42 PM, said:

Damn DanM that's some good stuff.

Something I first saw Norvak use was that polymer lights can mask fog pal transitions really well, that's probably what you're noticing.
Hopefully you still remember the new lighting features such as negative lights, and spotlights without shadows (will help you improve performance if you can fake the spotlight shadows with sectors).

Is that stuff for Duke Nukem Eternity?

Oh

Thanks guys

Nah no eternity stuff, not too sure about any practical uses for spotlights and negative lights just yet, if i want a point light to make shadows i just cut sectors appropriately, I really avoid spotlights as much as possible unless the area is low sectors and small.

And this 64-bit version runs pretty good and been stable so far in all my testing cheers for that, as for upgrading DNE to newer version of eduke, i think i really fucked up using alt pals for the textures because they really don't play nice with the fog in newer versions and all the inherent problems with spec / height maps.

Really like this HRP now, most of it is done and all looks great, trying to make sure every textures has a nice spec / height map to go along with it this time aswell.

Might be able to remake the original duke episodes in a couple of maps, when i run out of sectors in this ill just pile up the left over locations from ep3 and cram them all into the 2nd map, naturally all ending in the football stadium.

• Honored Donor

View PostDanM, on 01 April 2013 - 05:20 AM, said:

Thanks guys

Nah no eternity stuff, not too sure about any practical uses for spotlights and negative lights just yet, if i want a point light to make shadows i just cut sectors appropriately, I really avoid spotlights as much as possible unless the area is low sectors and small.

And this 64-bit version runs pretty good and been stable so far in all my testing cheers for that, as for upgrading DNE to newer version of eduke, i think i really fucked up using alt pals for the textures because they really don't play nice with the fog in newer versions and all the inherent problems with spec / height maps.

Really like this HRP now, most of it is done and all looks great, trying to make sure every textures has a nice spec / height map to go along with it this time aswell.

Might be able to remake the original duke episodes in a couple of maps, when i run out of sectors in this ill just pile up the left over locations from ep3 and cram them all into the 2nd map, naturally all ending in the football stadium.

Well one of the best things about spotlights without shadows is texture projection. For example in one of your WGR2 maps you used spotlights everywhere for water caustics. Now you can create a huge framerate boost by removing the shadows (plus it's probably more realistic without shadows). I've probably mentioned this before but it feels like a long time since then.

User is offline   pmw 

I just finished my first submarine ever.

I don't know what to say or write about this... just, here it is:

Posted Image
Posted Image

User is offline   Diaz 

View PostTrooper Mick, on 01 April 2013 - 05:28 AM, said:

Well one of the best things about spotlights without shadows is texture projection. For example in one of your WGR2 maps you used spotlights everywhere for water caustics. Now you can create a huge framerate boost by removing the shadows (plus it's probably more realistic without shadows). I've probably mentioned this before but it feels like a long time since then.

Yep the ability to place shadow-less spotlights was a great addition. However one must not go overboard anyways, as texture projections used in big areas are choppy as well. I just set their priority to low (translucency) so people can skip them with the r_maxlightpriority cvar if running on a slower machine...

User is offline   Lunick 

Someone make a mod called Flying Man Killing Sharks Forever.

Not sure if the proper thread but what the hell is this?

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostGambini, on 02 April 2013 - 12:34 AM, said:

Says the person with their name in the credits. :)

• Honored Donor

If that is real it is FUCKING AWESOME!

I wonder if DT and/or Mikko have something to do it it. Maybe you're involved Gambini.

Edit @ Lunick: Really? haha I made this post half way through the video. Called it Posted Image
Ok, finished the video, also called Mikko and DT. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

This post has been edited by Trooper Mick: 02 April 2013 - 12:41 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

It's impressive, but why did they use sprites?

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 02 April 2013 - 05:35 AM

Because otherwise it would not have been impressive.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostGambini, on 02 April 2013 - 05:41 AM, said:

Because otherwise it would not have been impressive.

User is offline   LkMax 

View PostGambini, on 02 April 2013 - 12:34 AM, said:

-snip-

sooooo...
...Is it a mod or just a prank?
Looks good either way.

This post has been edited by LkMax: 02 April 2013 - 06:05 AM

Does it look like a joke?

• Judge Mental

A lot of work went into that, prank or not.

Great work you guys. Really awesome stuff. Posted Image

Wouldn't it just figure if the proper DNF experience was entirely fan made on a 16 year old platform? Hail to the Fans, Baby!

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

It's an April Fools' joke that we spent six months working on. So worth it!

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

View PostFox, on 31 March 2013 - 02:14 PM, said:

Total Meltdown-style, shortcut "T" for this inventory item

Love that gif for some reason. But would it account for a kill in MP if someone else runs into a tripbomb you placed this way?

That DNF 2013 looks exciting, I just hope you actually have some meat to it unlike 3D Realms did.

Yes, contrarily to the trailer we inspired it, this has much more than what´s being seen. As the last line says "always bet on duek"

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostDaedolon, on 02 April 2013 - 07:55 AM, said:

Love that gif for some reason. But would it account for a kill in MP if someone else runs into a tripbomb you placed this way?

Yes, why not?

Share this topic:

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options