Duke4.net Forums: What are you working on for Duke right now? - Duke4.net Forums

• 325 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are you working on for Duke right now?  "Post about whatever Duke related stuff you're doing"

User is offline   Merlijn 

That's cool, glad you enjoy that song! It's funny how similar the learning curve for music and mapping is (for me at least). You first have to suck for a while before you get better. :)

User is offline   Mark 

You first have to suck for a while before you get better.

There's a joke in there somewhere. :)

User is offline   Mya! 

View PostTea Monster, on 11 February 2020 - 06:15 PM, said:

Spoiler

Just practising some sculpting this evening.

This is just roughing out shapes at this point.

I know It's been a while ago, but I'm a simple woman. I see Octabrain, I upvote.

This post has been edited by Katrix Kytarix: 19 August 2020 - 08:33 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View PostKatrix Kytarix, on 19 August 2020 - 08:30 AM, said:

I know It's been a while ago, but I'm a simple woman. I see Octabrain, I upvote.

Thank you!
I've been working on a few reproductions of the original Chuck Jones models.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: octobrain_02.jpg
  • Attached Image: Clas_cyc_19082020.png
  • Attached Image: fatcom21.jpg

User is offline   Mark 

Looking good. Put some ballet slippers on the Octabrain "legs" and use it in a Black Swan mod. :)

• Polymancer

I can hear the piano tippy-toe sound effects.

User is offline   Mya! 

Like this?

• Polymancer

View PostKatrix Kytarix, on 20 August 2020 - 11:33 AM, said:

Like this?

LOL!!!

Exactly!!!

User is offline   Mark 

I want 5% of the gross for the movie. It was my idea.

SG3 is pretty much finished, I'm doing some final touches right now. Soundtrack has also been recorded this weekend.
The map will released on the 27th of August.

Here's a final screenshot:
Attached Image: duke0115.png

User is online   Aleks 

Merlijn, that looks quite original (just hope there won't be that annoying Babe Land mouse scavenging on that cheese market!), but very vanOostrumish! Nice that you've already announced a release date, I will be able to catch up with the 2 previous levels, then play this one when it's out :)

Last week I started playing with sloped sprites. It's probably my favourite new feature in Mapster since... Enhancing the sector/wall/sprite limits :o I remember how much I wanted this thing 15 years ago, would kill for it! Here's a shot of the level I'm currently working on. A lot of decorative sprites like plants etc. and some shading are still missing, but I like the look of this area. The map is very open, so it's difficult for me to make a nice screen of something not too revealing, but still showing something...

https://imgurl.me/images/2020/08/24/duke0013a9cd7de105f8770e.th.png

This post has been edited by Aleks: 23 August 2020 - 12:09 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• 1776 World Wide

Looking good boys. I kind of missed some of the discussion further back in this thread because of Aleks' return.

View PostNinety-Six, on 16 August 2020 - 02:36 AM, said:

To be honest I've only ever seen [Blade Runner] once, and I hardly remember anything about the plot or the characters (in fact I remember having a hard time following the plot for some reason).

It's because that movie is an absolute mess. The atmosphere is the only thing about it that's coherent. There's like 7 different cuts of the movie which should tell you right there they really didn't know what to make. Ridley Scott is greatly overrated because of how great Alien turned out. He's very hit-or-miss.

View PostSanek, on 16 August 2020 - 03:32 AM, said:

Am I the only one who's thinking about 2121 A.D. while looking at ck3d's skyscrapers? I know that you're looking for your own or maybe the original game's style as far as layout it concerned but it just have that look of that old map. Perhaps it's been such a long time since we saw anything like it (5th element map maybe) but the tall buldings really stand out now! Can't wait for some vertical gameplay action!

2121 A.D. was awesome for the time and really pushed some limits here and there. Total classic.

User is online   Aleks 

View PostJimmy, on 23 August 2020 - 01:30 PM, said:

Looking good boys.

Thanks, Jimmy!

It's because that movie is an absolute mess. The atmosphere is the only thing about it that's coherent. There's like 7 different cuts of the movie which should tell you right there they really didn't know what to make. Ridley Scott is greatly overrated because of how great Alien turned out. He's very hit-or-miss.

I'm on the completely other ide here - I loved "Blade Runner" not only for its great atmosphere and ambience, but also for the plot. I've seen 2 different renditions of the movie, and the changes were rather cosmetic, both slightly more or less hinting about Decker being a replicant. It has a slow pace, especially by today's standards, though, which might be why it's not so appealing to people now (speaking of slowa pace, there's still much more going on than in "2001 Space Odyssey" or "Stalker"...). Loved the Villeneuve sequel too with its grand visuals as well, especially considering where the plot took to. In general, the aesthetics of both these films work very well in Duke maps.

And of course the Roy Batty speech is one of the most beautiful scenes in any movie!

On the other hand, I'm not that much a fan of Alien series. First movie was very good (mostly also because of atmosphere), but the pace in the end also went to a very slow tempo in the end (to the point I almost fell asleep last time I watched it). 2nd was OK too, 3rd was a complete disaster, "Resurrection" was great because of the visuals (and how they actually inspired E4 in Duke), didn't really care much about the newer ones, I think I only watched "Prometheus".

Thanks Jimmy & Aleks! Don't worry, there are no mice in the map except a really greedy one on a movie poster.. :)

Aleks, that's some sweet spritework!

I concur that 2121 A.D is a real classic. I don't think I've played it since its original release, but I can still remember how it looks and many of the features.
That's how much impact it had haha.

User is offline   Mark 

:)

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: capt0009.jpg

This post has been edited by Mark: 24 August 2020 - 02:53 PM

• Polymancer

https://i.imgur.com/Gh0wlZg.jpg

User is online   Aleks 

View PostMerlijn, on 24 August 2020 - 10:19 AM, said:

Aleks, that's some sweet spritework!

Thanks, Merlijn! Another great use I found for the sloped sprites is for overlapping horizontal sprites (like the diagonal decks on previous screen) - the "visible" part of deck is sloped just the tiniest bit (8 units) "up" to always appear above the other sprite and prevent visual glitches (overlapped sprites flashing).

Some more screens - the map is going really good now, currently the resources are at 1171/10817/5293. I was aiming for a clear sunset setting, with quite long shadows on the outside. There are still some unfinished parts visible, but before I move for further landscaping and planning the natural "borders" of the map, adding plants and extra topography elements, I want to make the interiors of that large building visible on 1st screen which is planned as a 3-floor SOS. This is also why there's just "temporary" random building texture there right now. Detailed architecture will have to wait on how the exact windows positions turn out from the inside. After that, I will have to see how many resources are left for landscaping.

Been playing with sloped sprites as well - I figured that since I'm using new art files for these maps anyway, I can just trim some textures to fit the needs of creating proper sloped spritework. I'm especially happy on how the speedboat's prow turned out, it was quite a hassle to properly align and trim the sprites there...

https://imgurl.me/images/2020/09/01/duke00166831d72141d974ca.th.png https://imgurl.me/images/2020/09/01/duke0018ec6ff31d5117b96e.th.png https://imgurl.me/images/2020/09/01/duke0019c8627b01536fe938.th.png https://imgurl.me/images/2020/09/01/duke00202d9d4b64ec8e3441.th.png https://imgurl.me/images/2020/09/01/duke0021be25b9b863b54b59.th.png

How much more detailed can you get in a Duke map? Looks great, especially the docks.
I got some WIP too.
https://sun1-97.userapi.com/DT2NGyI8RmRxtb5tsEojQ8XrnIC1oqRFiHXCCg/2yUC5EXFGLw.jpg

User is online   Aleks 

View PostMister Sinister, on 01 September 2020 - 03:26 AM, said:

How much more detailed can you get in a Duke map? Looks great, especially the docks.

Thanks, but having played some maps from Gambini or Quakis recently, I guess you can get more detailed :)

And nice screen, that's some textures you don't see very often (I almost forgot that door texture existed). I'd suggest adding some ambient gradient lighting around that fire pot in the corner.

User is offline   OVERLORD 

Hey guys, take a look at what I've done - Widescreen Status Bar For NAM!

Use the following command line to use it:

"-g DN3DAE_16_9_Aspect_Ratio_NAM_Weapons'_Sprites_Fixes.zip"

It also contains widescreen version of hands for Сlaymore Mine (taken from Duke Nukem 3D widescreen tiles)

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0035.png
  • Attached Image: duke0036.png

Attached File(s)

User is offline   ck3D 

Great stuff everyone. Trips me out to see screenshots uploaded by 'ShrinkDuke' in 2020 still!

Been making some progress on map 3 and it's just about to reach 1000 sectors. Been mostly taking a break from the spread out cityscapes (although those grew too), and focusing on more indoor areas instead. Here's a random arcade room, still in need of some detail and working lights:

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: BR41.png

This post has been edited by ck3D: 01 September 2020 - 04:21 PM

User is online   Aleks 

Love that creative use of textures, I almost forgot this "Play on TEN" graphic was still in the game. And that lady's crack brings back some sweet childhood memories... Ekhem. I'm also really curious about the floor texture in the bar seen in the distance.

User is offline   ck3D 

Ah that's just one of the basic wooden plank textures but looking at the screenshot I see why you're asking, the distortion and image compression make it look all curvy. It doesn't look that special in game though, although I figure it'd be possible to work that type of stuff with relative floors, a bunch of sector splits and first walls - just also not very reasonable when it comes to resources. And thanks, I'm glad you caught the E1L1 reference (one more to add to the existing many).

This post has been edited by ck3D: 02 September 2020 - 06:42 AM

User is online   Ninety-Six 

So are those all still vanilla textures? Huh. I always thought the Green Team/Brown Team textures were custom for back in Metropolitan Mayhem.

I assume they must be multiplayer textures, which is sadly something I've never had opportunity to play.

Hey guys, take a look at what I've done - Widescreen Status Bar For WWII GI!

"-g DN3DAE_16_9_Aspect_Ratio_WW2GI_Weapons'_Sprites_Fixes.zip"

It also contains widescreen version of hands for TNT (taken from Duke Nukem 3D widescreen tiles)

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0037.png
  • Attached Image: duke0038.png

Attached File(s)

View PostOVERLORD, on 01 September 2020 - 10:21 AM, said:

Hey guys, take a look at what I've done - Widescreen Status Bar For NAM!

"-g DN3DAE_16_9_Aspect_Ratio_NAM_Weapons'_Sprites_Fixes.zip"

It also contains widescreen version of hands for Сlaymore Mine (taken from Duke Nukem 3D widescreen tiles)

Made a little amendment. Here is the latest version.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0037.png

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by OVERLORD: 02 September 2020 - 01:16 PM

User is offline   ck3D 

View PostNinety-Six, on 02 September 2020 - 12:52 PM, said:

So are those all still vanilla textures? Huh. I always thought the Green Team/Brown Team textures were custom for back in Metropolitan Mayhem.

I assume they must be multiplayer textures, which is sadly something I've never had opportunity to play.

Yup, all vanilla (honestly always satisfying when people aren't sure, ha); if I'm ever using new art for this project it'll probably be for new monsters only - and even that I'm not sure, I might just end up manipulating the existing ones (for that I have quite a few ideas). Metropolitan Mayhem was all vanilla textures too, and about the nature of this particular image you're right, the base game has a few multiplayer-intended tiles that are tucked away from the single player campaign and commonly overlooked by user mappers. Actually it's because the green team/brown team textures exist as they are that I had to make both 'teams' in that Metropolitan Mayhem boss fight you're thinking of green and brown respectively with pal 7 and 8 (otherwise I'd have picked different palettes).

This post has been edited by ck3D: 02 September 2020 - 01:24 PM

User is online   Ninety-Six 

I figured it was a palette thing. But does that mean those were the only two team colors in online play?

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostOVERLORD, on 02 September 2020 - 01:09 PM, said:

Hey guys, take a look at what I've done - Widescreen Status Bar For WWII GI!

The seams of where the original tile ends and your extensions begin stand out.

View PostOVERLORD, on 02 September 2020 - 01:15 PM, said:

Made a little amendment. Here is the latest version.

This one is looking better. The camo patterns are still a bit different in your extensions compared to the original tile.

Something that may help you with both is to delete the boxes where the numbers go and fill in the gaps with what the background should look like. This may give you a better idea of how to extend them out.

Thank you for feedback, Hendricks!

This was my first experience and it was quite a tricky thing to do.

The reason I have 2 empty grooves on both sides of WW2GI Widescreen HUD is because I wanted to make a perception that it is stamped, like a metal nameplate. That was complicated to get a proper look of that texture, lots of cropping and editing.

As for NAM, both sides actually have a texture from NAM itself, it is a resized and edited background rectangle from "Choose your skill level" sign.

It looks to me as if nobody has done widescreen bars for those two games.

Share this topic:

• 325 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options