Duke4.net Forums: What are you working on for Duke right now? - Duke4.net Forums

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are you working on for Duke right now?  "Post about whatever Duke related stuff you're doing"

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

I've checked it on three different computers and monitors and I can't see anything on any of them.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Keep in mind that screenshots don't save the gamma setting used in-game (any more).

User is online   ck3D 

i use the default gamma setting anyway. hmm, interesting... i will keep working on the map in its current state (seeing as it's working fine for me) and will wait until the betatesting phase to see how many players are having this problem and how i can address this issue, i guess. thanks for the valuable feedback

User is offline   LkMax 

View Postck3D, on 20 December 2014 - 03:01 AM, said:

is this a mindless little stab at how dark the map is, or does the screenshot really show up so dark on your screen that you can barely see anything ? just curious. once again, the laptop i am working with right now has a really bright screen, which enables me to make out the detail and all, but not everyone's screen is, so i need to know what the general consensus is, in order to know whether i should actually increase the brightness in the map or not. (visibility is already set to the max)

I can only see the fire and a few red and green details, everything else is black. It does look really dark.
edit: didn't see the new posts, but I'll leave mine here.

This post has been edited by LkMax: 20 December 2014 - 07:00 AM

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

I like the darkness perfect for me and highly interested in the map, looks cool we all know how unfinished maps have emptiness.

This post has been edited by Duke64: 20 December 2014 - 10:44 PM

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

From my experience, laptop screens most are overbright.
When doing my maps, I have noticed that there is a huge variance with my desktop IPS vs. Crummy laptop display.

I would suggest toning down the gamma in either windows display calibration or use the slider in your GPU settings to tone it down to the same values as the test shows.
Laptop displays always are almost always skewed way too bright as the "proper gamma" would just be too dim for mainstream use.

After some comparisons, it gets easier to eyeball a proper gamma even without calibration.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostFox, on 18 December 2014 - 08:37 PM, said:

The font is what kills it.

I agree. For the upcoming mobile versions, I got the original .svg source to the 1.3D style font SwissCM made for the HRP, and did this based on it:

Posted Image

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostTerminX, on 22 December 2014 - 12:12 AM, said:

I agree. For the upcoming mobile versions, I got the original .svg source to the 1.3D style font SwissCM made for the HRP, and did this based on it:

Posted Image

Posted Image

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Working on something that we encounter in my mod.
Something in 4 dimensional.

User is offline   David B. 

I'm back on a side project with which I'm using (amongst others) my very first 3D models to bring more originality.

The result looks fine, therefore it's increasingly likely I would release either a map or a Mod around a dark city theme.
There's a lot of customised textures & sprites, it's rather an experimental level for it's the first occasion here I'm not using stock material too much.

That map has know many changes and it's still gradually evolving, being now very different from the first idea that pushed me to start something new...

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0004.png

The contrast between the bins and the wall texture is kind of strong ...

But it has an interessting look.

User is offline   Mark 

Do you plan on creating custom enemies too? One of the things I'm working on is similar to what you are doing and I don't think stock characters would fit in. When I see that screenshot I think more along the lines of a Kingpin game style.

View PostMark., on 25 December 2014 - 01:15 PM, said:

Do you plan on creating custom enemies too? One of the things I'm working on is similar to what you are doing and I don't think stock characters would fit in. When I see that screenshot I think more along the lines of a Kingpin game style.

I think about that from time to time, it would be nice but I don't know how to do.
I've never made 3d animated characters, not to mention the humanoid shape, the scripts, and so on... Maybe a future challenge...

This post has been edited by David B.: 25 December 2014 - 02:15 PM

Anthro looking characters are always a pain to design, I know that since I draw myself and when it needs a humanly pose it takes a lot of Ctrl+Z to do ...

BTW do you plan on custom weapons as well ?

This post has been edited by thedrawliner: 25 December 2014 - 03:00 PM

View Postthedrawliner, on 25 December 2014 - 02:59 PM, said:

Anthro looking characters are always a pain to design, I know that since I draw myself and when it needs a humanly pose it takes a lot of Ctrl+Z to do ...

BTW do you plan on custom weapons as well ?

For the moment I'm not planning any custom characters nor weapons. But I'll see what I could do for the last, cause I'm fed up seeing the original weapons all over again :)
I haven't got much time usually...

User is offline   Scott_AW 

Some captures of the remade city for my TC, Orbital Contract Defense, I've divided the first area into two maps so I can properly add interiors to the city.

Also loads of new voxels, cars, trucks, balcony, window acs, more and recolors/corrections to other models.

Attached Image: terra_city1_rd1.png

I had to switch back to my netbook because Artedit is still the most preferred method for me to make ART files until some new tool comes about.

Also increased visibility so you can actually see far off buildings, it was 384, now its 256. Anything lower is too bright for me.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0003.png
  • Attached Image: duke0005.png
  • Attached Image: duke0006.png

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

Testing Richard's snow effect. It is lovely! No problems on FPS! Amazing...

Posted Image

Posted Image

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Wow, that might be the best snow effect I've ever seen. Is every pixel a sprite, or is it a panel of snow flakes? (I've seen both in times past.)

User is offline   Zaxtor 

I dunno if they are sprites because that amount of sprites would crash.

Around 1,800 to 2K sprites (visible) in one screen stuff will start to vanish.

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

That's not really true any more.

Looks to me like layers but I haven't seen a video or it in person obviously.

A neat trick I saw once upon a time was a shitload of maskwalls. The mod that used it (Fate TC) was never released though afaik.

View PostMblackwell, on 30 December 2014 - 07:35 PM, said:

That's not really true any more.

Looks to me like layers but I haven't seen a video or it in person obviously.

A neat trick I saw once upon a time was a shitload of maskwalls. The mod that used it (Fate TC) was never released though afaik.

I think there was a map in City Terror that used the masked wall trick too. But you could really see that they used walls :) The animation had only 2 frames or so.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I don't think masked walls for that are really feasible in this day and age. It was probably all well and good back in the day when the sector limit was always the one you'd reach first and you'd have walls to throw around, but with the expanded limits and the wall limit being the big worry, you really need to use them efficiently. Plus breaking up the sectors with enough walls to make the effect convincing would severely limit what you could actually do with the sectors; regular sector work would be a pain, and I imagine there may be some sort of glitching with spritework. Once again back in the day when detail levels were consistently lower this might not have been a problem. Then again with efficient code-based solutions like RichardStorm's it's not like there's any reason at all to use masked walls for snow effects.

That is made of very big falling sprites (1600x1600) with many flakes drawn, to be as light as possible, which spawns from parallaxed ceilngs only.
This is designed for big open areas, forcing to limit or avoid internal zones (the ones which are connected with parallaxed sky zones) , expecially structures made out of sprites, due to Build sprite rendering.

My previous snow code was made out single 8x8 flakes, adaptable to any area, but quite heavy. Useful for few little-medium zones. Actually, i changed only the "flake" size and the quantity of flakes spawned.

In both ways, the sprite i put in mapster is a single spawner "per zone" in which i set the falling speed, the radius and the frequency (in xmas 2014 i put about 4 of them)

I could use different sized falling sprites (size, quantity of flakes) to find a compromise, but i prefer framerate over closed areas compatibility, at the end.

//EDIT: If only i could avoid polymer light effects on these sprites only ...

This post has been edited by RichardStorm: 31 December 2014 - 07:14 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostRichardStorm, on 31 December 2014 - 07:07 AM, said:

That is made of very big falling sprites (1600x1600) with many flakes drawn, to be as light as possible

That is an EXCELLENT idea.

View PostRichardStorm, on 31 December 2014 - 07:07 AM, said:

//EDIT: If only i could avoid polymer light effects on these sprites only ...

I'll move this up the list for discussion.

User is offline   Jblade 

Cool, I've done something similar for a rainstorm (although it's originally based on DeeperThought's code) effect - I think a happy medium between the unique snowflakes and a sprite displaying lots is best. I know that's how most modern games simulate weather effects (either that or they use the horrible sphere effect which means rain passes through scenery and seems to move with you)

User is offline   Mark 

Just playing around while I wait to hear from the final beta tester.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0034.jpg

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

D'oh, wrong thread.

Btw Mark the enemy animation is going to make or break the immersion there.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 05 January 2015 - 04:32 AM

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow...

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Artem Nevinchany: 05 January 2015 - 05:27 PM

My team is noob XD

User is offline   Sanek 

Just 2 screenshots from another "experimental" map I'm working on right now. Like my recent map "Cold in November". Coming VERY soon (maybe in the next couple of days).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options