Duke4.net Forums: PCExhumed - Exhumed/PowerSlave PC port - Duke4.net Forums

Jump to content

  • 3 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

PCExhumed - Exhumed/PowerSlave PC port

User is offline   Dzierzan 

#31

Well, PowerslaveGDX will have mini HUD like this:

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/537647121952669707/646699483064696832/scr0007.png?width=968&height=545

Which is sorta small enough and give you all important information. But I think we can go even further and try to minimalize that even more. Here's my quick mockup:

https://i.imgur.com/9cVmD1s.png

Of course imagine that these bits will be moved to the right and left.
4

User is online   MrFlibble 

#32

Absolutely awesome, but I wasn't able to run any demo version of the game with the port: it closes with an error message that certain VOC sound files (different between the demos) cannot be found.

Could you please add support for the demo versions, apart from the cut levels and data like these sounds they should be identical to the full version.
0

User is online   Phredreeke 

#33

https://i.imgur.com/g16Kavf.png
1

User is offline   Dzierzan 

#34

Well, the readme did write that demos or beta or whatever are not supported.
0

#35

Hi,

Music support is here! You'll get the soundtrack and now Ramses has a few things to say.

You'll also be happy to know that the player taunt frequency has been reduced to the correct time (we can now say "SEE-YUH!" to this bug)

Please see our website for the latest version and read the included readme.txt for instructions

http://pcex.retrohost.net
6

#36

View Postsirlemonhead, on 26 November 2019 - 12:02 PM, said:

Music support is here!


Most excellent news! Time to finally play this game! Great work all around!
0

#37

View PostPutrid Pete, on 26 November 2019 - 12:06 PM, said:

Most excellent news! Time to finally play this game! Great work all around!


Thanks! let me know if you find any issues :)
0

User is offline   Manhs 

#38

It's time to play it again, pharaoh time! :D
0

User is offline   Kerr Avon 

#39

Will the option to invert the Y-Axis be in the next version, please?
1

User is offline   RADAЯ 

  • Zionist Shill

#40

 Kerr Avon, on 28 November 2019 - 01:36 PM, said:

Will the option to invert the Y-Axis be in the next version, please?


Also, FOV option and in-game key bindings.
0

#41

Not sure when we'll have the menus, but you can at least set stuff (keys, FOV, invert mouse) through the settings.cfg file for now.

"To invert the mouse, add the line 'in_mouseflip 0' to settings.cfg.
To change the FOV, add a new line to settings.cfg, e.g. 'fov "120"' where 120 is the desired FOV value between 60 and 140."
1

User is offline   RADAЯ 

  • Zionist Shill

#42

 sirlemonhead, on 28 November 2019 - 03:43 PM, said:

Not sure when we'll have the menus, but you can at least set stuff (keys, FOV, invert mouse) through the settings.cfg file for now.

"To invert the mouse, add the line 'in_mouseflip 0' to settings.cfg.
To change the FOV, add a new line to settings.cfg, e.g. 'fov "120"' where 120 is the desired FOV value between 60 and 140."


THANKS!! I can finally play this now!



This post has been edited by Radar 100 Watts: 28 November 2019 - 05:31 PM

0

User is offline   NightFright 

  • The Truth is in here

#43

Support for the music files is still important. IIRC there were also mission briefings with spoken text before the levels so you actually knew what you were doing (I dunno if it was also there in written form, never really played the game).
0

User is online   MrFlibble 

#44

View PostPhredreeke, on 24 November 2019 - 06:52 AM, said:

https://i.imgur.com/g16Kavf.png

It's not only about availability, I'm a completist you see, and would like to have demo support the same way as EDuke32 allows to play not only the DOS shareware, but also fully recognizes the Mac demo GRP as well.

Since the Powerslave demo basically has the first four levels of the full game plus one MP level, I thought that it would not be that much of an issue to tweak the port to recognize the demo GRP as a valid resource file, and terminate the game after said four levels are done.

View PostNightFright, on 29 November 2019 - 02:07 AM, said:

IIRC there were also mission briefings with spoken text before the levels so you actually knew what you were doing (I dunno if it was also there in written form, never really played the game).

The demo has no speech and there are text overlays for the briefings, I think the full game should have them too for the no sound configurations:
https://youtu.be/diMxJxCSIXc?t=386

This post has been edited by MrFlibble: 30 November 2019 - 01:17 AM

3

User is online   MetHy 

#45

View PostNightFright, on 29 November 2019 - 02:07 AM, said:

Support for the music files is still important. IIRC there were also mission briefings with spoken text before the levels so you actually knew what you were doing (I dunno if it was also there in written form, never really played the game).


There are a few intermissions/explanations but not many.
0

User is offline   Hendricks266 

  • Weaponized Autism

  #46

View PostMrFlibble, on 30 November 2019 - 01:14 AM, said:

It's not only about availability, I'm a completist you see, and would like to have demo support the same way as EDuke32 allows to play not only the DOS shareware, but also fully recognizes the Mac demo GRP as well.

That was easy because released source code contains the demarcations of what should be enabled or disabled in Shareware mode. Reverse engineered ports require an entirely separate effort.
1

User is online   MrFlibble 

#47

View PostHendricks266, on 30 November 2019 - 08:51 AM, said:

That was easy because released source code contains the demarcations of what should be enabled or disabled in Shareware mode. Reverse engineered ports require an entirely separate effort.

With Powerslave, AFAIK there are no limitations beyond the number of levels that you can play, and cut assets. All weapons are present and accessible via cheat codes, there are no shareware splash screens or flashing shareware messages, the self-running demo is the same as in the full game. You can even play modified levels like Return to Ruins because the game reads data files from the directory first and then from the GRP (unlike Duke3D shareware which ignores anything but the GRP, save for CON files, exactly to disable the use of modified levels).

Can't say anything about multiplayer though, and I'm not even sure if Powerslave ever had "fake multiplayer" bots (I think it doesn't).

Of course I'm not competent enough to judge from the programmers standpoint but from the end-user point of view the demo limitations are much less stringent than in the case of the big three shareware Build games (I'm still hoping for shareware support in NBlood though!).
0

#48

We'll certainly look into supporting the demo, especially as it sounds a lot simpler based on what you've said.
1

User is offline   axl 

#49

What other stuff will be featured? Is there a to-do list?

Personally I would like to see the implementation of a crosshair and level stats.
2

User is online   MrFlibble 

#50

View Postsirlemonhead, on 30 November 2019 - 01:52 PM, said:

We'll certainly look into supporting the demo, especially as it sounds a lot simpler based on what you've said.

Thank you very much!

JIC, the regular (final) demo (ca. 11 MiB) can be found here alongside the slightly more cut-down Exhumed demo. AFAIK both are functionally equivalent to the final game except for the number of levels available.

A slightly earlier version of the four-level demo was found on a PC Gamer coverdisk, with the main difference that it has more content left inside STUFF.DAT (but the assets are still not complete compared to the full release). This one can be found here as POWER.7z.
1

User is offline   Manhs 

#51

I'm replaying the game and i still love it, the architecture with traps and platform is so fun!
The atmosphere too, egyptian style with the feeling to be an adventurer! :lol:
Definitely the most underrated FPS of the 90's for me...and i suppose the sales weren't really good, at least, we got it with some PC book in full version :x
0

#52

Seems awfully quiet without the soundtrack, I mean, more than normal. Looks like some sounds aren't playing, like the lava monster scream. Makes it harder to anticipate attacks.

Edit: seems to fix itself if I max out the volume from the menu.

This post has been edited by thricecursed: 08 December 2019 - 10:36 AM

0

#53

I've added support for the final Powerslave demo, available here - thanks MrFlibble :)

The newest CD playback code should be reliable now too, and the intro movie has sound.


The latest versions of the port can be obtained from https://lerppu.net/wannabethesis/


Please also see Hendrick's post on Stuttering & Frame Pacing Megathread if you're experiencing any issues like that.
2

User is online   MrFlibble 

#54

View Postsirlemonhead, on 23 December 2019 - 01:40 AM, said:

I've added support for the final Powerslave demo, available here - thanks MrFlibble :)

That's wonderful, thank you very much!!! ^_^

Merry Christmas!
0

User is online   supergoofy 

#55

zip name bug in your build script:

/wannabethesis/pcexhumed/20191225-1855/rednukem_win64_debug_20191225-1855.zip

it should be named pcexhumed_win64_debug_20191225-1855.zip (the exe inside is named correctly)

This happens in the last 3-4 builds

Merry Christmas

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 25 December 2019 - 06:33 AM

0

User is online   MrFlibble 

#56

Just quickly tried this, everything works awesome but I had a weird encounter with a mummy's red skull which I sidestepped to avoid (accidentally), after which it flew around for a bit (literally in circles; didn't try to hit me) before ramming into a wall and exploding.

But I never tried to sidestep red skulls in the vanilla game so not sure if this is not the proper behaviour :)
0

#57

View PostMrFlibble, on 25 December 2019 - 09:09 AM, said:

Just quickly tried this, everything works awesome but I had a weird encounter with a mummy's red skull which I sidestepped to avoid (accidentally), after which it flew around for a bit (literally in circles; didn't try to hit me) before ramming into a wall and exploding.

But I never tried to sidestep red skulls in the vanilla game so not sure if this is not the proper behaviour :)


Yep there's code there to chase the player in the case that it's a red skull :)
0

#58

View Postsupergoofy, on 25 December 2019 - 06:32 AM, said:

zip name bug in your build script:

/wannabethesis/pcexhumed/20191225-1855/rednukem_win64_debug_20191225-1855.zip

it should be named pcexhumed_win64_debug_20191225-1855.zip (the exe inside is named correctly)

This happens in the last 3-4 builds

Merry Christmas


Thanks, I've let oasiz know and he's corrected that :)

belated Merry Christmas to you too!
1

#59

as i click Start, this is what i get:

https://imgur.com/cQ6p4IY

any ideas?
0

#60

 evil_presley, on 29 December 2019 - 04:15 AM, said:

as i click Start, this is what i get:

https://imgur.com/cQ6p4IY

any ideas?


That's strange... what version of the game are you using?
0

Share this topic:


  • 3 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic


All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password


Sign in options