Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] NBlood - Blood port based on EDuke32 - Duke4.net Forums

• 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] NBlood - Blood port based on EDuke32

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

View PostR A D A Я, on 29 May 2020 - 04:27 PM, said:

I'm having the same problem. I think it crashed when I pressed F6, and now it crashes on load.

Posted Image

Unfortunately I can't attach the save file to my post. I'll upload it somewhere if someone requests it.

You can send this to me via discord for example.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

I just tested the current build with the shareware version, renamed SHARE000.ART to TILES000.ART and got the functional main menu, but trying to start the game kicked me out/crashed nBlood. the log says:

Map file is wrong versionWrote nblood.cfg
Wrote settings.cfg

JIC, a preinstalled version of Blood shareware (latest version 1.11) can be found here.

User is offline   Lobo4 

Hello,

I noticed a small difference on nblood :

In the original DOS game, in the map 1 2 (Wrong side of the tracks), at the end we arrive in the station, if we enter the tunnel and advance long enough, advice messages appear, which is not the case with the gog version or the nblood_win64_xxxxxxxx-xxxxx version.

Technically the messages are supposed to be readable by the game engine from the file blood.ini (in this exemple e1m2 lines 165,166,167)

It could be that the function is not activated for other messages as well.

If anyone could do something thank you :)

User is offline   Phredreeke 

I just tested with Blood 1.00 and the message doesn't display there either. Mandela effect?

User is offline   Lobo4 

View PostPhredreeke, on 08 July 2020 - 02:28 PM, said:

I just tested with Blood 1.00 and the message doesn't display there either. Mandela effect?

The lines of blood.ini are real ... I should have specified the shareware version, who will find her ?

Yes, the lines are there but the actual triggers to print them aren't.

User is offline   markanini 

Any chance we could get a non-vanilla fix for when weapon fire goes right through enemies without harming them?

User is offline   Lobo4 

View PostPhredreeke, on 11 July 2020 - 12:27 AM, said:

Yes, the lines are there but the actual triggers to print them aren't.

Would it be possible to add the triggers of the shareware version (which prints well on screen...) in the eduke32 version ?

If not, do we know the reason why the triggers were disabled ? Because there's a funny side to these little lines, losing them in the "full" version of the game is really surprising...

If that's the case I guess the map from the SW RFF could be extracted and used instead?

alright, I decided to try extracting the map file. as it happens, the maps from the shareware version are incompatible with NBlood

View PostPhredreeke, on 16 July 2020 - 04:45 AM, said:

alright, I decided to try extracting the map file. as it happens, the maps from the shareware version are incompatible with NBlood

I believe this is what the error message I posted above meant.

View PostMrFlibble, on 30 May 2020 - 08:08 AM, said:

I just tested the current build with the shareware version, renamed SHARE000.ART to TILES000.ART and got the functional main menu, but trying to start the game kicked me out/crashed nBlood. the log says:

Map file is wrong versionWrote nblood.cfg
Wrote settings.cfg

User is offline   Lobo4 

It seems to me that a preliminary compatibility with (all) shareware versions would be welcome.

Let's remember that shareware versions have served as a technology/testing/sales showcase, they are the most played in their time, so we should not forget them :)

User is offline   Lobo4 

Still about the shareware version of Blood :

blood0.99sw
blood1.0sw
blood1.01sw (3D audio)
blood1.02sw (3D audio)
blood1.10sw (3D audio)
blood1.11sw (3D audio)

the messages in the tunnel (e1m2) are clearly visible for all.

The 3D audio rendering option is very convincing (total immersion...) you can test by yourself (otherwise yt), which is not the case (for the moment) with NBlood.

Version 0.99 does not contain the same messages in the game, the demo passages illustrate a hidden level of the scenario.

The ART data are not divided in the sw versions but I hope that we will see these versions compatible with NBlood (please :) )

This post has been edited by Lobo4: 30 July 2020 - 07:53 AM

View PostLobo4, on 30 July 2020 - 07:50 AM, said:

The ART data are not divided in the sw versions but I hope that we will see these versions compatible with NBlood (please :) )

From my tests of the different NBlodd releases, it seems that currently it can load the data from the shareware ART file, because the main menu is fully functional (unlike earlier builds). Apparently, the issue lies in the incompatible map format.

I'm glad I'm not the only person asking for shareware compatibility, but as Hendricks266 mentioned somewhere above, adding this support is complicated because of the lack of source code, so it might not be the first priority for the devs ATM. The map format differences only complicate this further.

Perhaps someone with appropriate knowledge and in possession of the full game could document how exactly the map formats differ between the shareware/registered versions?

User is offline   Lobo4 

View PostMrFlibble, on 31 July 2020 - 05:53 AM, said:

The map format differences only complicate this further.

Start from scratch because of a change of container it's heavy, but I hope that there are necessarily recurrences that do not change (or not at all) which should greatly facilitate the loading of a map (simply by adjusting a line number...).

I can also say anything and at this time it would be really interesting if someone involved in NBlood take some time to explain us in-depth :)

Using latest build in the repository:
1. The frame pacing issue in Ion Fury and Duke3D with periodic stutter that has been fixed in said games has not yet been ported to NBlood
2. There is no quicksave/quickload key binding
3. Is there a way to get the episode movies playing?
4. The FOV + background repeat tiling issue fix from IF/D3D is not yet ported to NBlood

This post has been edited by Searinox Navras: 15 August 2020 - 09:29 AM

User is offline   v47 

so.. what's the latest version of NBlood that supports texture filtering and can I download it somewhere?

View Postv47, on 17 October 2020 - 10:17 AM, said:

so.. what's the latest version of NBlood that supports texture filtering and can I download it somewhere?

You can download the latest version and the old ones from Here (idk about the texture filtering).

User is offline   v47 

yep, been there, even the oldest one (r11957) doesn't have it anymore. welp, 1.01 it is, for the time being.

User is offline   jkas789 

Why is there a trend of people liking texture filtering lately?

User is offline   v47 

I assure you I've been liking it since 1996, and enabling it in 3D games wherever possible. pixels should stay where they belong, NES/SNES jrpgs and such.

also the no aniso/texture shimmer when not filtered, urgh.

This post has been edited by v47: 18 October 2020 - 12:36 AM

User is offline   Player Lin 

Well I think if "3D game" is model-based, I think many people would agreed "texture filtering is must thing."
But when it's sprite-based, many people just hate that shit and want to get rid of that.

I know some people prefer texture filtering for everything, I'm fine if someone want that, my bottom line is : Give me the damn option to turn it on or off.

(Recent EDuke32 based ports do not have the option anymore, due some problems haven't solved yet, not sure about details of that...)

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 18 October 2020 - 12:47 AM

User is offline   v47 

agreed - don't care much about palette precision or whatever the problem was, an on/off option for those who want filtered (and are ok with the issues filtering may cause) would be great.

almost forgot, the no-filtering builds don't load my custom skyboxes anymore, no more png support?

This post has been edited by v47: 18 October 2020 - 12:58 AM

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

The issue is a bit more complex than that since all textures are loaded in to an atlas, the underlying logic on how textures are loaded was thus changed. Filtering as it existed was incompatible with this.
This was done to improve VRAM usage and performance on lower end systems with integrated graphics.
But it also means that it's a bit more than adding an option in a menu.

Hopefully some day a proper solution gets done.

User is offline   v47 

I see. ah well, can't have it all, I suppose.

User is offline   jkas789 

Fair enough.

User is offline   Mark 

In one of my projects with high res content and Polymer the texture shimmering or sparkling, whatever you want to call it, is so pronounced without filtering that I consider it a game breaker and I will have to once again include an older version when released. Unfortunately this scenario seems to be a trend for me because of either AI, rendering, framerate or other misc changes as Eduke32 progresses.

As a workaround I tried to enable filtering thru the Nvidia control panel but it didn't work.

This post has been edited by Mark: 18 October 2020 - 04:54 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Making the game look accurate is much more important than being able to make the game ugly.

User is offline   v47 

beauty is in the eye of the beholder - some people can't stand the pixels, some love them (there actually are people who have written custom code just to emulate the software renderer in NewDark Thief Gold. not something I would use, but I have zero issues with them playing the game this way). can't say I would recommend sacrificing one group just to make the other happier, but it's not like I have any say in this.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

It's literally how the game is supposed to look. Nothing is being sacrificed. Smear your screen in vaseline or something.

Share this topic:

• 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options